Choosing the right treatment

Please think carefully about choosing the right service when you need treatment or advice to avoid putting unnecessary strain on local NHS services, especially during winter. 

By choosing the right service, not only will it be easier and quicker for you to get the help you need when and where you need it, but it also allows busy A&E and 999 services to concentrate on caring for patients with emergency or life-threatening conditions.

To help you choose the right service, NHS Harrogate and Rural District CCG (HaRD CCG) has produced a poster showing the various treatment and advice options available in the district. It’ll be on display across the area.

It can be downloaded by clicking here.

Not sure which service you need? Simply dial NHS 111 for a fast and easy way to get the right help. If it's a serious injury or or emergency then go to A&E or call 999.

Please also remenber that you need to order repeat prescriptions in good time, especially before weekends and bank holidays, to avoid running out of your supply.

Dr Rob Penman, Urgent Care and Prescribing Lead at HaRD CCG, said: “Winter is always a very busy time for the NHS. Choosing the most appropriate service for you or your family’s needs  will not only save you time, but will also help to free-up emergency services for those who need them the most.

“If you need treatment or advice in the Harrogate and rural district there are more options than you might think. For minor ailments such as headaches, sore throats and stomach upsets, you can typically treat them yourself with over the counter medicines available from your local chemist or supermarket.

“For symptoms that persist it’s worth making an appointment with your GP practice. Many practices in our area now have extended opening hours so you should be able to get an appointment that’s convenient for you.

“You should only dial 999 for urgent health problems such as difficulty in breathing, chest pains or significant blood loss. If you are unsure which service you need, simply call NHS 111 and they will point you to the right service.”