NHS Harrogate and Rural District Clinical Commissioning Group strongly believe patients and public within Harrogate and Rural District are an integral part of shaping local health services and that it is our role to ensure that local people have the opportunity to get involved in our work. “Hot Topics” is a great opportunity for us to involve local people, and regularly gather views and feedback to ensure healthcare services are provided in the right place, at the right time and by the right people.
Our most recent “Hot Topics” survey titled “Ophthalmology” focused on those who had an eye appointment at the eye clinic, at Harrogate District NHS Foundation Trust (HDFT), in the last two years.
Thank you to those who kindly shared your experience with us.
It is worth noting that the number of outpatient appointments into (HDFT) has increased over recent years. HDFT have recently commenced Virtual Clinics for Glaucoma patients to improve the waiting times for this group of patients. A virtual clinic operates in the following way:
- Patients who have all of the necessary eye tests and examinations which have been completed by a senior technician/Optometrist
- Results are reviewed by the consultant electronically to avoid unnecessary patient waiting
- This increases the number of patients who can be reviewed by the consultant during the virtual clinic
In addition, there is a service in place called the Minor Eye Conditions Service, which enables patients to access an appointment through self referral to a local Optomestrist (Optician) for the following conditions:
- Red eye or eyelids
- Dry eye, or gritty and uncomfortable eyes
- Irritation and inflammation of the eye
- Significant recent sticky discharge from the eye or watery eye
- Recently occurring flashes or floaters
- Ingrowing eyelashes
- Recent and sudden loss of vision
- Foreign body in the eye
Please click on the links below: